Colonel Mustard's Sandwich Emporium ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Dec 2022

First visit: Apr 2021

Back again as promised, later than anticipated though. Remembering that the prior year's experience ended up with a (slightly) disappointing Hero, I decided on a Ham and Cheese sandwich. And that's what I got - ham and cheese. Nicely cut thin deli Virginia ham, cheddar cheese, red onion, and their "special sauce" on a ciabatta roll. And it was slightly heated up. The roll was soft and tasty, and the ingredients are likely to be Boar's Head. The special sauce I suspected would be a mustard blend, though it wasn't that obvious. More like a light mayo-mustard spread. Was it good? Absolutely. Was it distinctive and crave worthy? Nope. Sigh. I really like this place - once again the help was very friendly. But it's not cheap, definitely on the high side for the sandwich market. Unless I'm at that one thrift shop during lunch time, I'm never in the area either. I should persevere and try their Meatball or Weisswurst sandwich. I want something to remember. Next year.


--- original 4/24/21 review

I was out and about doing a little thriftin' and lunch time came upon me. But where to eat? I felt like trying something new. Typed in Restaurants in Google Maps, and up came Colonel Mustard's Sandwich Emporium. Hard to pass up a place with a name like that! For most of us who grew up with the game of Clue, Colonel Mustard most assuredly is the prime recognizable character. Who hasn't issued the phrase "It was Colonel Mustard with the Candlestick in the Conservatory!" So kudos for a great name.

The owner is heavily engaged in his new product (first opened last July (2020)). Friendly to a fault, he offers free samples to new and returning customers. Word must be getting out, because I was one of many new customers that day - unwittingly so. One of his signature dishes? Mustard ice cream. Ponder that. I tried it - what the hell - and it's bright yellow with a tiny hint of mustard, and mostly creamy delicious ice cream. Vanilla? Probably, but I don't know. Oh - came with a pretzel too. The German heritage of Colorado Springs lives on.

As for the sandwich, hard to lay off the signature The Colonel Hero. Hmm... It's good of course - you can't really screw up using Boar's Heads meats, on a soft Italian hoagie roll. Problem is, I can do that at home. What I want is a big ol' sloppy sandwich. "The Works", "Mike's Way" whatever you crave. Remember Cero's Heroes in Grapevine (to my old NE Tarrant audience)? Here's where it goes wrong - they use bibb lettuce, and they serve the Italian dressing on the side in a plastic container. You put the dressing onto the sandwich, and where does it go? To the plate below. No place to absorb. Of all things, this sandwich could desperately have used spicy mustard. Which is the theme of the restaurant. 

No matter, I'm coming back to try something else. The owner rocks, and I want to support him - as it seems the whole neighborhood does. Well deserved. I heard him talking about meatball and Italian sausage sandwiches, using our very own historic Polidori from Denver (since 1925). OK, we'll be back. Improve the Hero though.... Sloppy is the word. Sloppy.

4/24/21 (new entry); 12/12/22

Post a Comment

0 Comments