Tomato Onion Chutney

_MG_0477
This chutney post is quite dear to me .. In the first place ,this is for my own reference. Secondly.. I have managed to get the fitting taste I have been looking for… Voilà!!  South Indian Chutney’s are not in my comfort zone cooking at all…  I need to practically search any bits and bobs that I have pen down from home... One among those kind is this chutney. My dear sis – in – law is quite an expert at this.. and I tweeted her recipe and  prepared to suit my palate…  They are a great side for Dosa’s ( Lentil Pancake) & Idly’s( Lentil Doughnuts)

_MG_0481_MG_0482
We , predominantly end up having Lentil Pancakes for dinner and hence the concomitant has to be elaborate like Chutneys, Sambar & Dosa Milagapodi ( Gun Powder). I earnestly take pride when my chutney’s are spot on….  Hardly do I toil like this to make a raitha or chaat chutney.. I can just have fun  with the available elements.

_MG_0504
Anyways.. here comes my fool proof recipe for Tomato Chutney …

INGREDIENTS:
Onions 2 Nos
Tomatoes 4 Nos
Garlic 2 Cloves
Tamarind Small Piece
Dried Red Chilly 2 Nos
Curry Leaves 4-5 Nos
Turmeric A pinch
Salt To Taste
Oil 2 Tblspn
Jaggery crushed 1 Tsp

For Tempering:
Oil 1 Tsp
Mustard Seeds 3/4 Tsp
Urd Dal 1/2 Tsp
Curry Leaves 5-6 Nos
Dried Red Chilly 1 Nos
_MG_0466

DIRECTIONS:
  • Chop onions and tomatoes into small chunks. Crush the garlic  ..
  • Heat oil in a kadai and drop in crushed garlic . Sauté until it gets light brown.
  • Throw in curry leaves , red chilly followed by chopped red onions along with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add tamarind and sauté along with the onions. Else soak the tamarind in 2-3 tbsp. of water and squeeze out all the pulp. Add them along with chopped tomatoes.
  • Fry until onions turn slightly brown . Pop in chopped tomatoes and turmeric.. Fry until the tomatoes get quite soft. Allow all of the ingredients to cool and then blend them along with jaggery in the blender to obtain a smooth paste. Adjust Salt to suit the taste.
  • Transfer the chutney into the serving bowl . Prepare the kadai for tempering by heating one tea spoon of oil. Drop all the ingredients under the tempering table , allow the mustard seeds to crackle. Turn off the gas and season the chutney with the tempering.
  • Serve them as an accompaniment  for Dosa’s just like I did.. 


KITCHEN NOTES:
  • Dried Red Chilly can be increased or decreased to suit the required chilliness
  • Jaggery can be omitted if you don't like the hint of sweetness..
  • If you like , you can introduce ginger into the chutney.

Post a Comment

0 Comments